Saturday, November 27, 2010

Ahh... and so it begins!

Let me first say, I have never, EVER, been more excited and nervous for anything in my life.

It all began a few weeks back. I was in the library at ASU meeting with my friend Larry for a cup of coffee. Larry and I had traveled to South Africa in the Summer of '09 for a study abroad program. Since then, we have stayed good friends. Larry informed me about his peace corps application. I was so happy to hear he had decided to apply. A few other guys from the trip had also joined. One guy, Karl, recently left for Kenya to teach sign language. Anyways, as Larry was talking, it dawned me on me. MY GOD! WHAT HAVE I BEEN THINKING?! I WANT TO JOIN THE PEACE CORPS!

I immediately began my research and my application. I knew it would take more than this split second to decide on this life changing volunteer work. But with the support of friends and family, I knew it was right for me. I got my application done, and have an interview with my recruiter on the 9th! I'm so nervous for the interview, so any tips would be amazing! I'm so happy to be a part of this journey and I'm looking forward to sharing everything with you. Even if its not always pleasant.

Just a little background on me. I'm 22 years old and graduating from Arizona State in the Spring (May 2011). Im majoring in Global Studies and minoring in Religious Studies. I hope to go to Sub-Sahara Africa but am open to all regions and programs that the Peace Corps feels I'm right for. I went to South Africa a few summers ago which really sparked my interest in volunteer work abroad. After the PC, I hope to work with either a Non-Profit or a Human Rights NGO.

So any tips for a successful interview would be wonderful! Its my first serious, scary, professional interview. I hope I don't die.

No comments:

Post a Comment